Yuen Long Victims Drop Lawsuit Against Police

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); jQuery(document).ready(function() { jwplayer.key='EKOtdBrvhiKxeOU807UIF56TaHWapYjKnFiG7ipl3gw='; var playerInstance = jwplayer("jquery_jwplayer_1"); playerInstance.setup({ file: "https://newsstatic.rthk.hk/audios/mfile_1589365_1_20210505180330.mp3", skin: { url: location.href.split('/', 4).join('/') + '/jwplayer/skin/rthk/five.css', name: 'five' }, hlshtml: true, width: "100%", height: 30, wmode: 'transparent', primary: navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Trident")>-1 ? "flash" : "html5", events: { onPlay: function(event) { dcsMultiTrack('DCS.dcsuri', 'https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1589365-20210505.mp3', 'WT.ti', ' Audio at newsfeed', 'WT.cg_n', '#rthknews', 'WT.cg_s', 'Multimedia','WT.es','https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1589365-20210505.htm', 'DCS.dcsqry', '' ); } } }); }); });

2021-05-05 HKT 17:47

Share this story

facebook

  • Yuen Long victims drop lawsuit against police

Former Democratic Party lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting and eight other victims of the Yuen Long mob attack on July 21, 2019 have decided to drop a civil suit against Police Commissioner Chris Tang.

Lam and other people injured in the gang rampage filed a lawsuit against the police last year, seeking compensation after the force failed to stop the violence and protect civilians as a large group of men attacked passengers at random at Yuen Long MTR Station.

Lam is currently remanded in custody over a pan-democratic primary the authorities say threatened national security.

He was quoted by his lawyer, Albert Ho, as saying that the Yuen Long case has become “too expensive” to fight and that resources could be better utilised to help other pro-democracy activists facing prosecution.

Ho noted that the lawsuit was still at a very initial stage, and said he believes it would have been at least another year before a court hearing could be held.

“It seems that it would take a very long time for the case to end… we think it is time to stop, in order to save further costs,” he said.

“The opponent (DOJ) on the other side is not only formidable, but they have unlimited resources. And they are crazy! They would use every method, every possible avenue to try to delay the matter, try to complicate the matter, and to exhaust all our financial resources.”

Ho said Lam, who’s facing a number of criminal charges, has already been locked up for “a very long time”, adding that it would be extremely tiring and stressful for him to push ahead with the civil case.

However, he quoted Lam as saying that he would continue to get to the bottom of what happened on July 21, as he faces prosecution for allegedly "rioting" while he was being attacked.

RECENT NEWS

HSBC Fined HK$4.2M Over Disclosure Breaches In Research Reports

The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has reprimanded and imposed a fine of HK$4.2 million on HSBC for breaching ... Read more

Philippines: The Hidden Fintech Gem You Cant Afford To Miss | Lito Villanueva

The Philippines is the fastest-growing digital economy and home to one of Southeast Asia’s most valuable fintech unic... Read more

SBI And Chainlink Partner On Blockchain And Digital Asset Use

SBI Group, one of Japan’s largest financial conglomerates with assets exceeding the equivalent of US$200 billion, has... Read more

China Considers Yuan-Backed Stablecoins To Advance Global Currency Push

China is considering permitting the use of yuan-backed stablecoins for the first time in a move that could support wide... Read more

Financial Sanctions: LSEG Risk Intelligence Answers Your Key Questions

Financial sanctions are essential government tools for achieving foreign policy objectives – and compliance is mandat... Read more

Korea Development Bank Leads $45M Bridge Round For Upstage

South Korea’s Upstage has secured a US$45 million Series B bridge round supported by Korea Development Bank (KDB), Am... Read more