Seven Jailed Over 2019 Yuen Long Mob Attack

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2021-07-22 HKT 11:42

Share this story

facebook

  • The judge had said the attackers seemed to have lost their minds. File photo: RTHK

    The judge had said the attackers seemed to have lost their minds. File photo: RTHK

The District Court on Thursday jailed seven people for their roles in the indiscriminate mob attacks on people in Yuen Long on July 21, 2019.

Tang Wai-sum, who gave orders for others to beat people up, was jailed for seven years.

Wong Ying-kit, Ng Wai-nam, Tang Ying-bun and Choi Lap-ki were put behind bars for between three-and-a-half and six years.

They were convicted last month of wounding and rioting.

Lam Koon-leung and Lam Kai-ming, who earlier pleaded guilty to rioting, were both sentenced to four years and eight months in prison.

The court had been told that the defendants were among groups of people who, using items including rattan and wooden sticks, assaulted people in Yuen Long MTR Station, the YOHO Mall, and Ying Lung Wai on the night in question.

In passing sentence, judge Eddie Yip noted that at the Yuen Long MTR station, white-clad attackers had charged towards black-clad people and others – who then went back to the platform and into a train.

But the train did not start moving, and its doors remained open.

There were no police officers, the judge noted, and the public announcement inside the train asked passengers to leave the MTR station.

Yip added the passengers had to shield themselves with umbrellas, and brave young people stood at the front to bear the brunt of the attack with their bodies.

The judge also noted the white-clad men claimed they were “protecting their home”, and had sidelined the police when they armed themselves with wooden and rattan sticks and attacked the public.

The victims were trapped inside train compartments and they dared not leave, Yip said, adding that this amounted to false imprisonment.

Hong Kong is a society with rule of law, therefore such acts that caused great fear among the public call for heavy sentences, he said.

The judge also rejected one defendant’s claim that people were free to leave the concourse of the station, noting that journalists and some prosecution witnesses had been beaten up after exiting through the station’s gates, and were trapped inside the concourse by the white-clad men.

The judge said he had taken into consideration factors including the degree of violence used, whether the acts were premeditated, and whether weapons were used, as well as the duration of the attack and the injuries suffered by the victims.

The police came in for heavy criticism following the attacks for their slow response, despite the emergency 999 hotline being flooded with calls. Officers only arrived at the scene after the mob had dispersed.

The force later described the violence as a fight between two evenly matched sides, and said it should not be characterised as an indiscriminate attack.

______________________________



Last updated: 2021-07-22 HKT 12:02

RECENT NEWS

XTransfer Celebrates Milestone Of Over 1 Million Enterprise Clients

XTransfer shared that it has served more than one million enterprise clients since its founding in 2017. The B2B cross-... Read more

How Much Do Hong Kongs Biggest Banks Pay Their CEOs?

How much did it pay to run one of Hong Kong’s biggest banks in 2025? The answer varies sharply, and the numbers look ... Read more

DBS Hong Kong CEO Sebastian Paredes To Retire After 16 Years, Taiwan Chief Takes Over

Ng Sier Han will be the next DBS Hong Kong CEO. He takes over from Sebastian Paredes, who retires from executive duties... Read more

Hong Kong Founders Can Now Incorporate And Get Paid In One Application

Airwallex announced a corporate partnership with Air Corporate, a Hong Kong-based digital corporate service provider, i... Read more

Visa Tap To Pay Reaches Hong Kong Doorsteps In SF Express Deal

Visa announced a partnership with S.F. Express (Hong Kong) Limited (SFHK) to bring contactless card payment services to... Read more

Two Co-CEOs Take Over HSBC Insurance Leadership As Edward Moncreiffe Exits

HSBC has named two Asia-based executives as co-CEOs of its global insurance business. Daisy Tsang, CEO of HSBC Life Hon... Read more