Parents Upset Over 'unfair' Primary One Class Ban
"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

"); });
2023-05-20 HKT 13:43
The Education Bureau has come under fire after rejecting a request for a special review from a Wong Tai Sin primary school that has been told it can't take in primary one students in the next academic year.
Po Yan Oblate Primary School is among several schools in the city which have been denied permission to operate new primary one classes after failing to attract the required minimum of 16 pupils through the government's central allocation system.
It had opted to seek a special review from the Education Bureau, but officials denied the school's application on Monday without giving any reasons.
A group of parents and students on Saturday submitted a petition outside a school which was being visited by the education secretary Christine Choi, but the minister did not meet the group.
One parent, surnamed Cheng, accused officials of unfair treatment of the school and questioned why the Sha Tau Kok Central Primary School could still operate a primary one class after also falling short of the 16 children needed.
"Why is the school in Sha Tau Kok allowed, but Po Yan Oblate Primary School isn't?" she asked. "I hope the Education Bureau can treat us fairly – for example, give a one-year transition period or exercise discretion."
Tracy Pang from the school's management committee and alumni association said she would discuss the best way forward with the sponsoring body.
"We must talk to stakeholders who are parents to understand their needs," she said. "No matter if they are parents of future primary one students or current pupils, they actually have different demands."
Two other schools denied permission due to a low primary one intake – CCC Cheung Chau Church Kam Kong Primary School and Confucian Tai Shing Primary School – earlier announced that they had been approved to operate classes with fewer pupils on a private basis for the new academic year.
Kennedy Town's St. Charles School, meanwhile, has been granted permission by education authorities to rejoin the primary one admission system.
In response to the petitioning parents and pupils, the Education Bureau said Po Yan Oblate Primary School had confirmed that it had nothing to do with the petition.
The bureau said it was deeply saddened and concerned that young pupils had been taken to the streets in the heat, adding that the petitioners had rejected an invitation to a meeting inside the venue was rejected. .
It also said it had met with the school and its sponsoring body to clearly explain the rejection of the requested special review. The bureau noted that the school could appeal through an official channel.
__________
Last updated: 2023-05-20 HKT 15:42
Manulife Names Wilton Kee As CEO For Hong Kong And Macau
Manulife has appointed Wilton Kee as the new Chief Executive Officer for its Hong Kong and Macau operations, effective ... Read more
Banks Are Not Ready For AI | Singapore AI CxO Roundtable
In this exclusive roundtable jointly hosted by Fintech News Network and Alteryx, senior banking leaders in Singapore sh... Read more
Mizuho Bank To Invest In Rakuten Bank In October
Mizuho Bank will shift its investment into a 5.81% stake in Rakuten Bank, according to Japan Today. The move allows the... Read more
Forthright Subsidiaries Secure SFC Approval For Virtual Asset Services Across 3 Licenses
Forthright Securities and Forthright Capital have received approval from the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) to... Read more
SFC Names Elisa Ng To Lead Investment Products, Reappoints Lisa Chen
The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has appointed former J.P. Morgan Asset Management executive Elisa Ng as its... Read more
Mastercard And JD.com Partner To Expand Cross-Border Payment Options In China
Mastercard and JD.com have entered a strategic partnership to develop cross-border supply chain finance tools for busin... Read more