Pan-dems, Protesters Blast PLA's 'volunteering'

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2019-11-16 HKT 21:10

Share this story

facebook

  • The government says it has not asked the PLA to help in Saturday's clean-up operation. Photo: AFP

    The government says it has not asked the PLA to help in Saturday's clean-up operation. Photo: AFP

Pro-democracy lawmakers have condemned People's Liberation Army (PLA) soldiers for leaving their barracks and participating in a clean-up operation in Kowloon Tong on Saturday, as the SAR government confirmed it did not request the assistance.

In a joint statement, the pan-democratic camp noted that under Article 14 of the Garrison Law, the PLA must not interfere in local affairs unless it is asked by the Hong Kong government to help with disaster relief or maintaining public order.

But a government spokesman said the military's involvement in clearing away debris from Junction Road and Renfrew Road – near Baptist University – was purely voluntary and the administration had not requested the move.

A spokesman for the PLA in Hong Kong, meanwhile, said troops were simply coming to the aid of nearby residents who were removing obstacles from the roads.

In their statement, the pan-dems said this was not the first time that PLA troops had breached the Basic Law and left their barracks, saying they had used ‘voluntary community service’ as an excuse to clear trees that had been brought down by super Typhoon Mangkhut at various country parks last year.

The opposition lawmakers accused the SAR government of colluding with the PLA to get around current laws to allow mainland troops to intervene in local affairs, saying this is detrimental to the city’s high level of autonomy.

Civic Party lawmaker Dennis Kwok said he had already filed an urgent question in Legco, seeking clarifications from the government over the incident.

The Citizens’ Press Conference, meanwhile, called the deployment of PLA soldiers onto the streets of Hong Kong ‘inappropriate’ and ‘entirely unacceptable’.

The protesters' platform said Saturday’s incident was a classic illustration of the ‘boiling frog syndrome’, and while the soldiers may have claimed to be ‘volunteering to clear roadblocks’ this time around, the move sets a perfect precedent for them to ‘violently suppress’ Hong Kong people in the near future.

The protesters added that this was an ‘ill-disguised attempt’ to undermine their determination to secure freedom and democracy, and they called on all sectors of society to remain on the alert.

______________________________



Last updated: 2019-11-16 HKT 21:23

RECENT NEWS

Ant International And Bank Of China Partner To Enhance Cross-Border Payment Connectivity

Ant International and Bank of China (Hong Kong) (“BOCHK”) announced a partnership which leverages BOCHK’s banking... Read more

BitGo Korea Gets Green Light For Virtual Asset Custody, Backed By SK Telecom

BitGo Holdings, Inc. (BitGo) announced that its subsidiary, BitGo Korea, Inc. (BitGo Korea), received its Virtual Asset... Read more

Webinar: When Account Takeover Moves Past Onboarding

Account takeover shows why fraud risk cannot be treated as an onboarding problem. Fraudsters are using stolen credentia... Read more

JCB To Trial Stablecoin Payments In Japan With Digital Garage And Lawson

JCB Co., Ltd. (JCB), Digital Garage, Inc. (Digital Garage), and Lawson, Inc. (Lawson) announced that they have jointly ... Read more

Bonnie Chan To Lead HKEX Until Feb 2030 After Securing Second Term

The HKEX Board of Directors has approved the renewal of the employment contract of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Lim... Read more

Ripple Signs Its First Korean Regional Bank In Cross-Border Remittance Deal

Ripple, a blockchain-based enterprise solutions provider for traditional and digital finance, announced a partnership w... Read more