Next Digital Says All Its Directors Have Resigned

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2021-09-05 HKT 20:35

Share this story

facebook

  • Apple Daily published its final edition and ceased operation in late June. File photo: RTHK

    Apple Daily published its final edition and ceased operation in late June. File photo: RTHK

Defunct newspaper Apple Daily's parent company announced on Sunday that all of its directors had resigned.

In a stock exchange filing, Next Digital said the four members of its board of directors, including chairman Ip Yut Kin, were stepping down to protect shareholders, creditors, employees and former employees.

The directors said in a statement that they have concluded that an orderly liquidation would serve the best interests of shareholders, creditors, staff and other stakeholders.

The company explained that it had not been able to legally pay its newspaper staff or the costs of doing business – such as buying ink and keeping the electricity on – since then-security secretary John Lee froze its bank accounts and instructed that it would be a crime for it to use its funds in other accounts to pay any expenses on behalf of those operations.

It said it hoped the government would allow liquidators to authorise payments that its directors have been banned from approving, including for creditors and employees.

The company also revealed that, since the arrests and charging of the company's former CEO Cheung Kim-hung and Apple Daily editor-in-chief Ryan Law under the national security law – and subsequent arrests of more executives, editors and writers, it had been hit with many resignations, including from those responsible for its regulatory compliance duties.

"The Hong Kong government has never indicated which articles published by Apple Daily allegedly violated the National Security Law," the statement read.

"This uncertainty created a climate of fear, resulting in many resignations among the remaining staff at the Company in Hong Kong."

The Company added that the trading in its shares, which has been suspended since 17 June, will remain as such until further notice.

RECENT NEWS

UAE Central Bank Joins Hong Kongs CMU To Expand Debt Market Connectivity

The Central Bank of the UAE (CBUAE) and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) held their third meeting in Abu Dhabi. ... Read more

How To Solve The US$2.5 Trillion SME Credit Gap In Asia Pacific

The US$2.5 trillion SME credit gap in the Asia Pacific remains a significant challenge for traditional banks. Joe Udomd... Read more

Alipays AI Payment Service Surpasses 120 Million Transactions In A Week

Alipay announced that its AI Pay, a payment solution using AI agents, processed over 120 million transactions in the pa... Read more

Sumsub Warns That Identity Fraud Is Becoming Sharper And Better Planned

The global rate of identity fraud decreased in 2025 from the previous year’s high, but the threats have become more s... Read more

Sands China, Alipay And Macau Pass Expand Tap! Payments Across Macao Resorts

During Chinese New Year, Sands China, Alipay, and Macau Pass expanded their partnership to support Macao’s tourism se... Read more

Former Hong Kong Fintech Executive Jailed 6 1/2 Years For HK$19 Million Theft

A former senior executive at a Hong Kong fintech firm has been sentenced to six and a half years in prison. He stole mo... Read more