Minsister Admits 'confusion' On Quarantine U-turn

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

"); jQuery(document).ready(function() { jwplayer.key='EKOtdBrvhiKxeOU807UIF56TaHWapYjKnFiG7ipl3gw='; var playerInstance = jwplayer("jquery_jwplayer_1"); playerInstance.setup({ file: "https://newsstatic.rthk.hk/audios/mfile_1592253_1_20210523175634.mp3", skin: { url: location.href.split('/', 4).join('/') + '/jwplayer/skin/rthk/five.css', name: 'five' }, hlshtml: true, width: "100%", height: 30, wmode: 'transparent', primary: navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Trident")>-1 ? "flash" : "html5", events: { onPlay: function(event) { dcsMultiTrack('DCS.dcsuri', 'https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1592253-20210523.mp3', 'WT.ti', ' Audio at newsfeed', 'WT.cg_n', '#rthknews', 'WT.cg_s', 'Multimedia','WT.es','https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1592253-20210523.htm', 'DCS.dcsqry', '' ); } } }); }); });
2021-05-23 HKT 16:15
Civil Service Secretary Patrick Nip on Sunday admitted there had been “confusion” over the administration's U-turn on the suspension of quarantine-free entry to Hong Kong via Guangdong, but said officials will learn from the experience.
The Centre for Health Protection on Saturday originally announced that it will upgrade the risk level for the entire Guangdong province after its capital city Guangzhou reported a new Covid-19 case, and the"Return2hk” scheme would be suspended as a result.
But the government backed down hours later.
Instead, officials only classified a building in Liwan district as medium risk and said the "Return2hk" scheme for Hong Kong residents would remain unchanged – that’s despite the SAR government's list on medium or high risk areas in the mainland appears to be based on province, municipality or autonomous region.
At present, Anhui and Liaoning provinces are on the list.
Speaking to reporters, Nip said whether to adjust the "Return2hk" scheme would depend on public health risk and whether the corresponding measure is proportionate.
He explained that mainland authorities had only classified a particular street in Guangzhou as medium risk and so the entire Guangdong province isn't facing the same risk.
"There might be some confusion, but we will learn from experience and explain to the people to avoid misunderstanding and possible chaos," he said.
Federation of Trade Unions lawmaker Alice Mak said the incident reflected Hong Kong officials' lack of understanding of the mainland and the lack of communication between departments within the SAR administration.
She said she was glad that the government clarified the arrangement at the end, as a number of Hong Kong people in Guangdong had sought help from her party.
HSBC Fined HK$4.2M Over Disclosure Breaches In Research Reports
The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has reprimanded and imposed a fine of HK$4.2 million on HSBC for breaching ... Read more
Philippines: The Hidden Fintech Gem You Cant Afford To Miss | Lito Villanueva
The Philippines is the fastest-growing digital economy and home to one of Southeast Asia’s most valuable fintech unic... Read more
SBI And Chainlink Partner On Blockchain And Digital Asset Use
SBI Group, one of Japan’s largest financial conglomerates with assets exceeding the equivalent of US$200 billion, has... Read more
China Considers Yuan-Backed Stablecoins To Advance Global Currency Push
China is considering permitting the use of yuan-backed stablecoins for the first time in a move that could support wide... Read more
Financial Sanctions: LSEG Risk Intelligence Answers Your Key Questions
Financial sanctions are essential government tools for achieving foreign policy objectives – and compliance is mandat... Read more
Korea Development Bank Leads $45M Bridge Round For Upstage
South Korea’s Upstage has secured a US$45 million Series B bridge round supported by Korea Development Bank (KDB), Am... Read more