I Didn't Flee To Boost Rally Turnout: Lam Wing-kee

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2019-04-29 HKT 12:00

Share this story

facebook

  • Former bookseller Lam Wing-kee says the late arrival of his visa and the Easter holidays delayed his departure from Hong Kong. Photo: RTHK

    Former bookseller Lam Wing-kee says the late arrival of his visa and the Easter holidays delayed his departure from Hong Kong. Photo: RTHK

Former Causeway Bay bookseller Lam Wing-kee said on Monday that it is "ridiculous" for a pro-Beijing newspaper to suggest that he fled Hong Kong last week to boost the turnout for Sunday's march against proposed changes to Hong Kong's extradition laws.

Organisers said some 130,000 people took to the streets against the government's proposals, compared to 12,000 when they held a rally on the same matter in late March. Police said there were "22,800 protesters at the peak" of Sunday's march.

Speaking on RTHK's Millennium programme from Taiwan, Lam said he had actually planned to go to the island by the middle of this month.

But he said the Taiwanese authorities had given him his visa late, and this was followed by the Easter holidays, so he only managed to leave last Thursday.

Lam also said that he expected that the fugitive law changes would be passed sooner or later, so it was safer for him to leave in advance.

The bookseller had said that Hong Kong is not safe for him anymore as he believed he would be "the first to be extradited" to the mainland, once the legal changes are passed.

Lam was charged by the mainland authorities with selling banned books after he went missing for weeks.

According to Lam, he was allowed to return to Hong Kong in June 2016 to collect "evidence" for mainland officials. He decided not to comply, and instead went public about how he had been kidnapped by mainland security officials at the Shenzhen border eight months before, and then held in secret detention in the Zhejiang city of Ningbo.

Four of his colleagues – Lee Bo, Gui Minhai, Lui Bo and Cheung Ji-ping – had also disappeared the same year and they also eventually resurfaced on the mainland.

Gui still remains on the mainland. The rest have returned to Hong Kong but either denied being ill-treated on the mainland or refused to talk about what had happened to them.

RECENT NEWS

Manulife Names Wilton Kee As CEO For Hong Kong And Macau

Manulife has appointed Wilton Kee as the new Chief Executive Officer for its Hong Kong and Macau operations, effective ... Read more

Banks Are Not Ready For AI | Singapore AI CxO Roundtable

In this exclusive roundtable jointly hosted by Fintech News Network and Alteryx, senior banking leaders in Singapore sh... Read more

Mizuho Bank To Invest In Rakuten Bank In October

Mizuho Bank will shift its investment into a 5.81% stake in Rakuten Bank, according to Japan Today. The move allows the... Read more

Forthright Subsidiaries Secure SFC Approval For Virtual Asset Services Across 3 Licenses

Forthright Securities and Forthright Capital have received approval from the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) to... Read more

SFC Names Elisa Ng To Lead Investment Products, Reappoints Lisa Chen

The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has appointed former J.P. Morgan Asset Management executive Elisa Ng as its... Read more

Mastercard And JD.com Partner To Expand Cross-Border Payment Options In China

Mastercard and JD.com have entered a strategic partnership to develop cross-border supply chain finance tools for busin... Read more