'Human Roadblock' Victim Takes His Case To IPCC

Published date: .

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); jQuery(document).ready(function() { jwplayer.key='EKOtdBrvhiKxeOU807UIF56TaHWapYjKnFiG7ipl3gw='; var playerInstance = jwplayer("jquery_jwplayer_1"); playerInstance.setup({ file: "http://newsstatic.rthk.hk/audios/mfile_1391391_1_20180416121754.mp3", skin: { url: location.href.split('/', 4).join('/') + '/jwplayer/skin/rthk/five.css', name: 'five' }, hlshtml: true, width: "100%", height: 30, wmode: 'transparent', primary: navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Trident")>-1 ? "flash" : "html5", events: { onPlay: function(event) { dcsMultiTrack('DCS.dcsuri', 'http://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1391391-20180416.mp3', 'WT.ti', ' Audio at newsfeed', 'WT.cg_n', '#rthknews', 'WT.cg_s', 'Multimedia','WT.es','http://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1391391-20180416.htm', 'DCS.dcsqry', '' ); } } }); }); });

2018-04-16 HKT 12:17

Share this story

facebook

  • 'Human roadblock' victim takes his case to IPCC

James To talks to RTHK's Janice Wong

One of three drivers facing prosecution after being forced to serve as a "human roadblock" during a car chase in February has filed a complaint to the Independent Police Complaints Council (IPCC), lawmaker James To said on Monday.

But To said police delayed accepting the complaint for weeks, telling the complainant that his request can't be entertained while a coroner's inquest is underway.

The Democratic Party legislator claimed it was only last Friday that an officer called the motorist to say he can lodge a complaint with the IPCC, even though the coroner's investigation is ongoing.

The complainant was one of the people injured during the incident in February, when drivers of private cars were asked by police to slow down to try and stop a fleeing motorist. The move resulted in a crash that also left two dead.

It was also revealed last week that the drivers who followed a police officer's order to stop have been warned they could be prosecuted for causing a crash.

To said that according to his knowledge, police guidelines were amended after a 2009 incident where officers used civilian vehicles to form a roadblock, and it has been made clear that no life will be risked or motorists made to act as a human roadblock during a police operation.

"However up to now police, even up to the commissioner level, still put forward an information to the general public that they will not rule out that police would do it similarly and do it again," he said.

The lawmaker said he believes the incident seriously undermines the public's confidence in the police force. He told RTHK's Janice Wong that the police need to carry out a thorough investigation into the incident, to prevent a "total collapse" of public confidence in the force.