World Cup Will Fuel Gambling Among Youth: Charity

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2018-03-22 HKT 13:21

Share this story

facebook

  • The Caritas Addicted Gambling Counselling Centre says many young people get their first taste of gambling by betting on World Cup matches. Photo: RTHK

    The Caritas Addicted Gambling Counselling Centre says many young people get their first taste of gambling by betting on World Cup matches. Photo: RTHK

With just under three months to go before the start of the 2018 World Cup, the Hong Kong government's been urged to raise the city's legal minimum age for gambling from 18 to 21, to discourage young people from betting on the football matches.

The Caritas Addicted Gambling Counselling Centre warned on Thursday that many people are likely to get their first taste of gambling during the tournament.

The charity said there was a 30 percent surge in the number of people turning to its social workers for help with gambling-related issues immediately after the last World Cup in 2014.

The centre’s spokesman, Alfred Chan, said the competition is one of the most common reasons for young people to start gambling, and the administration should increase the legal minimum age for gambling to mitigate the effects of the tournament.

"We think that the World Cup is a very big issue .... we are always concerned that a number of people start their gambling during the World Cup and if the problem continues, we will predict the number of people becoming addicted will increase," Chan said.

The centre said a survey it carried out earlier this year involving 830 students at tertiary institutions found that around half had a gambling habit. Of the gamblers, around 70 percent liked to play the Mark Six, while 22 percent said they had placed bets on football matches. Some admitted the World Cup was likely to increase their desire to gamble.

The centre said one 23-year-old who had asked it for help had run up gambling debts totalling HK$200,000 over a nine-month period.

The charity said more than 300 people under the age of 25 had sought assistance at its centre since 2003.

RECENT NEWS

XTransfer Celebrates Milestone Of Over 1 Million Enterprise Clients

XTransfer shared that it has served more than one million enterprise clients since its founding in 2017. The B2B cross-... Read more

How Much Do Hong Kongs Biggest Banks Pay Their CEOs?

How much did it pay to run one of Hong Kong’s biggest banks in 2025? The answer varies sharply, and the numbers look ... Read more

DBS Hong Kong CEO Sebastian Paredes To Retire After 16 Years, Taiwan Chief Takes Over

Ng Sier Han will be the next DBS Hong Kong CEO. He takes over from Sebastian Paredes, who retires from executive duties... Read more

Hong Kong Founders Can Now Incorporate And Get Paid In One Application

Airwallex announced a corporate partnership with Air Corporate, a Hong Kong-based digital corporate service provider, i... Read more

Visa Tap To Pay Reaches Hong Kong Doorsteps In SF Express Deal

Visa announced a partnership with S.F. Express (Hong Kong) Limited (SFHK) to bring contactless card payment services to... Read more

Two Co-CEOs Take Over HSBC Insurance Leadership As Edward Moncreiffe Exits

HSBC has named two Asia-based executives as co-CEOs of its global insurance business. Daisy Tsang, CEO of HSBC Life Hon... Read more