"Tourists Will See New-look HK Is No Cultural Desert"

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2023-01-24 HKT 12:53

Share this story

facebook

  • Jeffrey Lam speaks to RTHK about the return of mainland tourists to a new-look Hong Kong. Photo: RTHK

    Jeffrey Lam speaks to RTHK about the return of mainland tourists to a new-look Hong Kong. Photo: RTHK

Executive Councillor Jeffrey Lam says he expects the number of mainland visitors to pick up after the Lunar New Year Holiday, and that they'll find a new-look SAR that could never be described as a "cultural desert".

In an exclusive interview with RTHK, the Business and Professionals Alliance lawmaker said it's no surprise that relatively few travellers from the mainland have come here since quarantine-free travel resumed on January 8, given that many people had already made Lunar New Year plans.

Lam says he expects the flow of mainland visitors to pick up soon, given Hong Kong's new attractions.

"We have the Hong Kong Palace Museum and the M+ museum. Tourists want to bring their families here...Hong Kong really has a lot to offer," he said, referring to new attractions at the West Kowloon Cultural District opened in the past two years.

Immigration Department figures show that more than 200,000 Hong Kong people crossed to the mainland in a little over a week after the January 8 reopening, while 140,000 people travelled south in the same period.

But Lam says he expected the visitor flow to pick up shortly, saying Hong Kong has something for everyone. He also expects foreign visitors to come to explore the various theme parks, and diverse food options.

Aside from tourism, Lam says that consumption vouchers, and tax refunds are necessary to revitalise the economy in next month's budget.

He says it doesn't matter how big the spending voucher is, people will be happy to receive it.

"When an environment changes, everyone tries to head in a positive direction. If giving more money means raising morale, I think it's not a big deal," he said.

"It's not like the money isn't leaving their pockets. The money circulates around our society."

Financial Secretary Paul Chan said on Sunday he was hearing different views on spending vouchers, with some politicians calling for new handouts and others expressing concern about government finances.

Lam says he hopes that the government will also help small local businesses cope with the present difficult economy by providing interest-free loans.

"Is there no return for this money spent? Of course not! If [the government] helps these businesses make money, they will then pay taxes," he said.

"When the government asks why they received more tax money next January, it's because they are now receiving the money back from helping those businesses take off."

RECENT NEWS

Ant International And Bank Of China Partner To Enhance Cross-Border Payment Connectivity

Ant International and Bank of China (Hong Kong) (“BOCHK”) announced a partnership which leverages BOCHK’s banking... Read more

BitGo Korea Gets Green Light For Virtual Asset Custody, Backed By SK Telecom

BitGo Holdings, Inc. (BitGo) announced that its subsidiary, BitGo Korea, Inc. (BitGo Korea), received its Virtual Asset... Read more

Webinar: When Account Takeover Moves Past Onboarding

Account takeover shows why fraud risk cannot be treated as an onboarding problem. Fraudsters are using stolen credentia... Read more

JCB To Trial Stablecoin Payments In Japan With Digital Garage And Lawson

JCB Co., Ltd. (JCB), Digital Garage, Inc. (Digital Garage), and Lawson, Inc. (Lawson) announced that they have jointly ... Read more

Bonnie Chan To Lead HKEX Until Feb 2030 After Securing Second Term

The HKEX Board of Directors has approved the renewal of the employment contract of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Lim... Read more

Ripple Signs Its First Korean Regional Bank In Cross-Border Remittance Deal

Ripple, a blockchain-based enterprise solutions provider for traditional and digital finance, announced a partnership w... Read more