'Three-month Window' For HKers To Get BioNTech Shots

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); jQuery(document).ready(function() { jwplayer.key='EKOtdBrvhiKxeOU807UIF56TaHWapYjKnFiG7ipl3gw='; var playerInstance = jwplayer("jquery_jwplayer_1"); playerInstance.setup({ file: "https://newsstatic.rthk.hk/audios/mfile_1592497_1_20210525175958.mp3", skin: { url: location.href.split('/', 4).join('/') + '/jwplayer/skin/rthk/five.css', name: 'five' }, hlshtml: true, width: "100%", height: 30, wmode: 'transparent', primary: navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Trident")>-1 ? "flash" : "html5", events: { onPlay: function(event) { dcsMultiTrack('DCS.dcsuri', 'https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1592497-20210525.mp3', 'WT.ti', ' Audio at newsfeed', 'WT.cg_n', '#rthknews', 'WT.cg_s', 'Multimedia','WT.es','https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1592497-20210525.htm', 'DCS.dcsqry', '' ); } } }); }); });

2021-05-25 HKT 09:16

Share this story

facebook

  • 'Three-month window' for HKers to get BioNTech shots

Thomas Tsang speaks to RTHK's Mike Weeks

A member of the government's vaccine task force is urging Hong Kong people to get inoculated now, warning that BioNTech shots will soon be out of date and the SAR may not be able to get its hands on further doses for the rest of this year.

Thomas Tsang, a former controller of the Centre for Health Protection, said Hong Kong was lucky that it had vaccines for everyone, yet its take-up rate was only around 20 percent. He said this was down to a false perception that the jabs available were not safe.

Speaking on RTHK's Hong Kong Today programme, he urged people not to take a wait-and-see approach in case their favoured vaccines weren't available at a later stage.

"The vaccines all have expiry dates," he said. "They cannot be used after the expiry date and the community vaccination centres for BioNTech will, according to present plans, cease operating after September.

"So we only have maybe a three-month window to get vaccinated if you are considering BioNTech; after that it may be much more difficult.

"The whole world is scrambling for vaccines and its is not just right that we can buy a vaccine overnight and we just have it. What we have is probably all we have for the rest of the year."

Hong Kong ordered 7.5 million doses each of the vaccines from the mainland's Sinovac and the German company BioNTech. A further order from AstraZeneca was cancelled, but officials have said they are looking at ordering a future second generation vaccine.

As of Monday, almost 2.2 million doses had been delivered and about 900,000 people had received both doses. More than 1.2 million of the doses taken so far are from BioNTech.

RECENT NEWS

HSBC Fined HK$4.2M Over Disclosure Breaches In Research Reports

The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has reprimanded and imposed a fine of HK$4.2 million on HSBC for breaching ... Read more

Philippines: The Hidden Fintech Gem You Cant Afford To Miss | Lito Villanueva

The Philippines is the fastest-growing digital economy and home to one of Southeast Asia’s most valuable fintech unic... Read more

SBI And Chainlink Partner On Blockchain And Digital Asset Use

SBI Group, one of Japan’s largest financial conglomerates with assets exceeding the equivalent of US$200 billion, has... Read more

China Considers Yuan-Backed Stablecoins To Advance Global Currency Push

China is considering permitting the use of yuan-backed stablecoins for the first time in a move that could support wide... Read more

Financial Sanctions: LSEG Risk Intelligence Answers Your Key Questions

Financial sanctions are essential government tools for achieving foreign policy objectives – and compliance is mandat... Read more

Korea Development Bank Leads $45M Bridge Round For Upstage

South Korea’s Upstage has secured a US$45 million Series B bridge round supported by Korea Development Bank (KDB), Am... Read more