Steve Vines Leaves RTHK, Citing National Security Law

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2021-06-30 HKT 11:20

Share this story

facebook

  • Steve Vines also hosts RTHK's English-language political TV programme, The Pulse, which airs its final episode on Friday before taking a summer break. He is unable to say whether the programme will return. File photo: RTHK

    Steve Vines also hosts RTHK's English-language political TV programme, The Pulse, which airs its final episode on Friday before taking a summer break. He is unable to say whether the programme will return. File photo: RTHK

Veteran journalist, Steve Vines, has announced he's quitting RTHK, citing the national security law that was introduced in Hong Kong exactly a year ago.

Vines had been serving as a guest presenter on the public broadcaster's Backchat programme since April, after RTHK dropped him as a current affairs commentator on its Morning Brew show after more than ten years.

Speaking at the end of Wednesday's edition of Backchat, the veteran journalist announced his departure.

"We happen to be discussing the first anniversary of the national security law today, it seems to me that for somebody who is more critical, the time to remain at RTHK has ended. So with great regret – but reflecting great pleasure over the years – I think I better go," he told listeners.

Vines also hosts RTHK's English-language political TV programme, The Pulse, which airs its final episode on Friday before taking a summer break.

He was unable to say whether the programme would return, but said he would continue his work as a columnist and author for other publications.

"I think that the whole point about RTHK and the reason why I've always liked it is it took very seriously its role as a public broadcaster, by which I mean a broadcaster that was more responsible to the public than it was to the people who provided the money, i.e. the government. But then you could say, well who provides the money for the government – that’s also the public," he said

"The reason why I have misgivings now is that I don’t feel that the mandate of RTHK as a public broadcaster is as strong as it was in the past, I think there's much more pressure on the station to be an organ of government rather than a public broadcaster."

Vines said he has "enormous respect and goodwill" towards RTHK, and would be happy to do things for the station on an ad hoc basis.

"But I don’t think there’s really a place for somebody like me as a semi-permanent fixture," he added.

RTHK, for its part, said it will not comment on the resignation of individual service providers.

Since the national security law took effect a year ago, the public broadcaster has seen the departure of several senior executives and high-profile programme hosts.

RECENT NEWS

UAE Central Bank Joins Hong Kongs CMU To Expand Debt Market Connectivity

The Central Bank of the UAE (CBUAE) and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) held their third meeting in Abu Dhabi. ... Read more

How To Solve The US$2.5 Trillion SME Credit Gap In Asia Pacific

The US$2.5 trillion SME credit gap in the Asia Pacific remains a significant challenge for traditional banks. Joe Udomd... Read more

Alipays AI Payment Service Surpasses 120 Million Transactions In A Week

Alipay announced that its AI Pay, a payment solution using AI agents, processed over 120 million transactions in the pa... Read more

Sumsub Warns That Identity Fraud Is Becoming Sharper And Better Planned

The global rate of identity fraud decreased in 2025 from the previous year’s high, but the threats have become more s... Read more

Sands China, Alipay And Macau Pass Expand Tap! Payments Across Macao Resorts

During Chinese New Year, Sands China, Alipay, and Macau Pass expanded their partnership to support Macao’s tourism se... Read more

Former Hong Kong Fintech Executive Jailed 6 1/2 Years For HK$19 Million Theft

A former senior executive at a Hong Kong fintech firm has been sentenced to six and a half years in prison. He stole mo... Read more