Protester's Family Has Left HK, Coroner's Court Told

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); jQuery(document).ready(function() { jwplayer.key='EKOtdBrvhiKxeOU807UIF56TaHWapYjKnFiG7ipl3gw='; var playerInstance = jwplayer("jquery_jwplayer_1"); playerInstance.setup({ file: "https://newsstatic.rthk.hk/audios/mfile_1590329_1_20210511180916.mp3", skin: { url: location.href.split('/', 4).join('/') + '/jwplayer/skin/rthk/five.css', name: 'five' }, hlshtml: true, width: "100%", height: 30, wmode: 'transparent', primary: navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Trident")>-1 ? "flash" : "html5", events: { onPlay: function(event) { dcsMultiTrack('DCS.dcsuri', 'https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1590329-20210511.mp3', 'WT.ti', ' Audio at newsfeed', 'WT.cg_n', '#rthknews', 'WT.cg_s', 'Multimedia','WT.es','https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1590329-20210511.htm', 'DCS.dcsqry', '' ); } } }); }); });

2021-05-11 HKT 17:09

Share this story

facebook

  • The court has been also shown more than 30 photos of Leung’s belongings, including a yellow raincoat with anti-extradition slogans written over it and a notebook that read “lost hope in Hong Kong” on a page. File photo: RTHK

    The court has been also shown more than 30 photos of Leung’s belongings, including a yellow raincoat with anti-extradition slogans written over it and a notebook that read “lost hope in Hong Kong” on a page. File photo: RTHK

The coroner’s court looking into the death of an anti-government protester was told on Tuesday that his family was absent from the inquest because they had left Hong Kong several weeks after he fell to his death from an Admiralty mall in 2019.

Immigration records presented to court indicated that Marco Leung’s parents and younger sister flew out of the city in August, 2019, to an unknown destination.

They hadn’t returned to the SAR as of last week.

Coroner David Ko also confirmed that the family had not been in touch with him.

But the court was told that they gave statements at a police station two days before departing the territory.

The trio said the 35-year-old was not suicidal, had no mental health issues and did not owe people money, adding that the family had a close and happy relationship.

Leung’s mother added that he rarely discussed news or current affairs with her.

The court was also shown more than 30 photos of Leung’s belongings that an officer had found after his death, including a yellow raincoat with anti-extradition bill slogans written over it, and a notebook in which “lost hope in Hong Kong” was written.

The court will on Wednesday summon a security guard who first saw Leung standing on a construction platform on the fourth floor of Pacific Place, hours before the protester fell to the ground on June 15, 2019.

RECENT NEWS

HSBC Fined HK$4.2M Over Disclosure Breaches In Research Reports

The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has reprimanded and imposed a fine of HK$4.2 million on HSBC for breaching ... Read more

Philippines: The Hidden Fintech Gem You Cant Afford To Miss | Lito Villanueva

The Philippines is the fastest-growing digital economy and home to one of Southeast Asia’s most valuable fintech unic... Read more

SBI And Chainlink Partner On Blockchain And Digital Asset Use

SBI Group, one of Japan’s largest financial conglomerates with assets exceeding the equivalent of US$200 billion, has... Read more

China Considers Yuan-Backed Stablecoins To Advance Global Currency Push

China is considering permitting the use of yuan-backed stablecoins for the first time in a move that could support wide... Read more

Financial Sanctions: LSEG Risk Intelligence Answers Your Key Questions

Financial sanctions are essential government tools for achieving foreign policy objectives – and compliance is mandat... Read more

Korea Development Bank Leads $45M Bridge Round For Upstage

South Korea’s Upstage has secured a US$45 million Series B bridge round supported by Korea Development Bank (KDB), Am... Read more