'More Manpower Needed At Residential Childcare Homes'
"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

"); });
2022-10-02 HKT 15:26
Labour minister Chris Sun on Sunday said more manpower is needed at residential childcare centres after a series of child-abuse allegations came to light.
He also said the government will follow up on suspected abuse cases at a Po Leung Kuk foster home in Causeway Bay. Two staff members there were arrested in the past week on suspicion of mistreating children.
Speaking on a television programme, he said the Social Welfare Department had requested the care home to submit a detailed report.
Sun also said many of those living at residential childcare centres have special needs, highlighting the need for greater resources.
"We can see the demand for resources and manpower. The reason why we need manpower is that 30 to 40 percent of children at residential childcare facilities have special needs. That means we have to deploy more manpower and hire more staff," he said.
He added that authorities will consider hiring childcare assistants to take care of the basic needs of toddlers, such as feeding and bathing, to help ease the workload of care home staff so they can perform other more specialised tasks.
On allegations of abuse at a special-needs school in Tai Po, Sun said the Education Bureau is following up on the case.
He said Hong Chi Pinehill No.2 School is among those subject to recommendations in a report released earlier on residential child care facilities.
Authorities have received complaints such as tying up children's hands and causing bruises.
Third Side legislator Tik Chi-yuen, who represents the social welfare sector, urged the government to beef up measures to tackle child abuse.
Tik said more needs to be done to find out the crux of the problem. "It is good for the government to form a committee to investigate the situation, to gain the confidence of the public and to control the situation. We don't want any further cases to happen again," he said.
"If there's a problem of manpower inadequacy, the government should consider how to improve it."
Meanwhile, Sun said authorities are wrapping up a probe into an accident at a MIRROR concert in July, in which a giant video screen fell and struck two dancers at the Hong Kong Coliseum.
In particular, he told reporters that officials have sought legal advice from the Department of Justice on whether the dancers were self-employed, and the implications this might have.
_____________________________
Last updated: 2022-10-02 HKT 18:57
Manulife Names Wilton Kee As CEO For Hong Kong And Macau
Manulife has appointed Wilton Kee as the new Chief Executive Officer for its Hong Kong and Macau operations, effective ... Read more
Banks Are Not Ready For AI | Singapore AI CxO Roundtable
In this exclusive roundtable jointly hosted by Fintech News Network and Alteryx, senior banking leaders in Singapore sh... Read more
Mizuho Bank To Invest In Rakuten Bank In October
Mizuho Bank will shift its investment into a 5.81% stake in Rakuten Bank, according to Japan Today. The move allows the... Read more
Forthright Subsidiaries Secure SFC Approval For Virtual Asset Services Across 3 Licenses
Forthright Securities and Forthright Capital have received approval from the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) to... Read more
SFC Names Elisa Ng To Lead Investment Products, Reappoints Lisa Chen
The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has appointed former J.P. Morgan Asset Management executive Elisa Ng as its... Read more
Mastercard And JD.com Partner To Expand Cross-Border Payment Options In China
Mastercard and JD.com have entered a strategic partnership to develop cross-border supply chain finance tools for busin... Read more