Hongkongers Rush To 'Save RTHK' From Show Purge

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); jQuery(document).ready(function() { jwplayer.key='EKOtdBrvhiKxeOU807UIF56TaHWapYjKnFiG7ipl3gw='; var playerInstance = jwplayer("jquery_jwplayer_1"); playerInstance.setup({ file: "https://newsstatic.rthk.hk/audios/mfile_1589017_1_20210503213948.mp3", skin: { url: location.href.split('/', 4).join('/') + '/jwplayer/skin/rthk/five.css', name: 'five' }, hlshtml: true, width: "100%", height: 30, wmode: 'transparent', primary: navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Trident")>-1 ? "flash" : "html5", events: { onPlay: function(event) { dcsMultiTrack('DCS.dcsuri', 'https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1589017-20210503.mp3', 'WT.ti', ' Audio at newsfeed', 'WT.cg_n', '#rthknews', 'WT.cg_s', 'Multimedia','WT.es','https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1589017-20210503.htm', 'DCS.dcsqry', '' ); } } }); }); });

2021-05-03 HKT 18:42

Share this story

facebook

  • Episodes of Hong Kong Connection were among the first shows to disappear from YouTube on Monday.

    Episodes of Hong Kong Connection were among the first shows to disappear from YouTube on Monday.

Bruce Lui speaks to Timmy Sung

Hong Kong people rushed to save copies of RTHK programmes on Monday as the station began removing shows from the internet, with a journalism academic warning that the broadcaster's move will allow the authorities to create their own version of history.

RTHK noted that it has long removed news stories and programmes from its official website after a year, and said deleting material from YouTube that is older than 12 months is consistent with this policy.

Hong Kong Connection documentaries and episodes of axed satirical show Headliner were among the first to be taken down from the free video platform.

"After [RTHK] was painted red by [director of broadcasting] Patrick Li, all its contents will be removed from the shelves. To ensure history will not be forgotten, internet users have decided to upload the programmes here," said a statement posted on an online platform called "SaveRTHK."

The web page already contained a number of episodes of Headliner, which RTHK killed off last year following complaints by the police and warnings from the Communications Authority.

Bruce Lui, a journalism lecturer at Baptist University said RTHK may well be the owner of the programmes, but removing them from the internet is against the public interest and is a waste of taxpayers' money.

"News is the first draft of history and also the public can look at it afterwards and learn what happened in the past. If we delete those records, it's sort of clearing the history so that the public won't have a very good picture of what happened," he said.

Lui linked the removal of various programmes to the social unrest of 2019.

"The government and Beijing are trying very hard to create their own version of history, so they can have their mainstream definition and it will also take away embarrassment and wrongdoings of the government," he said.

"In the future, people will only know the government's version, without knowing the civilian version of history."

The lecturer said with the advancement of technology, he doesn't see any difficulty in keeping the programmes online for public viewing.

He added: "Taxpayers paid that money not just for their temporary purpose, we assume that that money would be used to maximise the [programmes'] value."

RECENT NEWS

HSBC Fined HK$4.2M Over Disclosure Breaches In Research Reports

The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has reprimanded and imposed a fine of HK$4.2 million on HSBC for breaching ... Read more

Philippines: The Hidden Fintech Gem You Cant Afford To Miss | Lito Villanueva

The Philippines is the fastest-growing digital economy and home to one of Southeast Asia’s most valuable fintech unic... Read more

SBI And Chainlink Partner On Blockchain And Digital Asset Use

SBI Group, one of Japan’s largest financial conglomerates with assets exceeding the equivalent of US$200 billion, has... Read more

China Considers Yuan-Backed Stablecoins To Advance Global Currency Push

China is considering permitting the use of yuan-backed stablecoins for the first time in a move that could support wide... Read more

Financial Sanctions: LSEG Risk Intelligence Answers Your Key Questions

Financial sanctions are essential government tools for achieving foreign policy objectives – and compliance is mandat... Read more

Korea Development Bank Leads $45M Bridge Round For Upstage

South Korea’s Upstage has secured a US$45 million Series B bridge round supported by Korea Development Bank (KDB), Am... Read more