'HK-Singapore Travel Bubble May Be Postponed Again'

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); jQuery(document).ready(function() { jwplayer.key='EKOtdBrvhiKxeOU807UIF56TaHWapYjKnFiG7ipl3gw='; var playerInstance = jwplayer("jquery_jwplayer_1"); playerInstance.setup({ file: "https://newsstatic.rthk.hk/audios/mfile_1590881_1_20210514180622.mp3", skin: { url: location.href.split('/', 4).join('/') + '/jwplayer/skin/rthk/five.css', name: 'five' }, hlshtml: true, width: "100%", height: 30, wmode: 'transparent', primary: navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Trident")>-1 ? "flash" : "html5", events: { onPlay: function(event) { dcsMultiTrack('DCS.dcsuri', 'https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1590881-20210514.mp3', 'WT.ti', ' Audio at newsfeed', 'WT.cg_n', '#rthknews', 'WT.cg_s', 'Multimedia','WT.es','https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1590881-20210514.htm', 'DCS.dcsqry', '' ); } } }); }); });

2021-05-14 HKT 12:47

Share this story

facebook

  • 'HK-Singapore travel bubble may be postponed again'

Officials said on Friday that there is a high chance the planned May 26 launch of a long-delayed travel bubble between Hong Kong and Singapore will be pushed back.

Speaking to reporters, Commerce Secretary Edward Yau said Singapore’s transport minister, Ong Ye-kung, had informed him that because the city state is grappling with a surge in Covid-19 cases, there is a high chance the bubble scheme will not go ahead as scheduled.

“He (Ong) shared with me that there are additional measures to be taken by the Singapore government so as to curb the recent increase,” Yau said.

“We agreed earlier on a mechanism on which we will start, resume or suspend bilateral travelling. Now the Singapore minister has told me that there might be a high chance that the bubble arrangement may not be able to resume under the agreed mechanism”.

Under the agreement, the bubble will be suspended for at least two weeks if the seven-day moving average of unlinked community cases in either city increases to more than five.

Yau said officials on both sides will review the situation again early next week, and make a final decision as soon as possible so that people can adjust their travel plans.

The bubble was originally slated to be launched in November last year, but it never got off the ground because Hong Kong suffered a spike in Covid-19 cases.

RECENT NEWS

HSBC Fined HK$4.2M Over Disclosure Breaches In Research Reports

The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has reprimanded and imposed a fine of HK$4.2 million on HSBC for breaching ... Read more

Philippines: The Hidden Fintech Gem You Cant Afford To Miss | Lito Villanueva

The Philippines is the fastest-growing digital economy and home to one of Southeast Asia’s most valuable fintech unic... Read more

SBI And Chainlink Partner On Blockchain And Digital Asset Use

SBI Group, one of Japan’s largest financial conglomerates with assets exceeding the equivalent of US$200 billion, has... Read more

China Considers Yuan-Backed Stablecoins To Advance Global Currency Push

China is considering permitting the use of yuan-backed stablecoins for the first time in a move that could support wide... Read more

Financial Sanctions: LSEG Risk Intelligence Answers Your Key Questions

Financial sanctions are essential government tools for achieving foreign policy objectives – and compliance is mandat... Read more

Korea Development Bank Leads $45M Bridge Round For Upstage

South Korea’s Upstage has secured a US$45 million Series B bridge round supported by Korea Development Bank (KDB), Am... Read more