Govt U-turns On Quarantine-free Entry Suspension

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2021-05-22 HKT 23:33

Share this story

facebook

  • The reversal came hours after the Centre for Health Protection announced that the arrangement would be halted starting from Sunday. File photo: RTHK

    The reversal came hours after the Centre for Health Protection announced that the arrangement would be halted starting from Sunday. File photo: RTHK

The Hong Kong government on Saturday reversed a decision to upgrade Guangdong province’s risk level, hours after health authorities said quarantine-free entry to Hong Kong from the province would be suspended.

The reversal came hours after the Centre for Health Protection announced that the arrangement would be halted starting from Sunday due to a recently confirmed case in Guangzhou.

But late on Saturday evening, the government issued a press release saying that the recently confirmed case was found in Liwan district in Guangzhou, and that only that district would be classified as "medium risk" instead of the entirety of Guangdong province.

The statement then went on to add that the quarantine-free travel "Return2HK" scheme will remain unchanged for the time being, and Hong Kong residents can return to Hong Kong from Guangdong as normal.

The backtrack came hours after former chief executive CY Leung criticised the CHP's announcement. In a Facebook post, he said he was "puzzled" by the announcement, and cited the approach by the Macau government which said that those who had been to the Longjin residential district in Liwan district would be subjected to 14 day medical observation.

Shortly after the government's statement, Leung posted on social media that he welcomed the government's decision.

RECENT NEWS

HSBC Fined HK$4.2M Over Disclosure Breaches In Research Reports

The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has reprimanded and imposed a fine of HK$4.2 million on HSBC for breaching ... Read more

Philippines: The Hidden Fintech Gem You Cant Afford To Miss | Lito Villanueva

The Philippines is the fastest-growing digital economy and home to one of Southeast Asia’s most valuable fintech unic... Read more

SBI And Chainlink Partner On Blockchain And Digital Asset Use

SBI Group, one of Japan’s largest financial conglomerates with assets exceeding the equivalent of US$200 billion, has... Read more

China Considers Yuan-Backed Stablecoins To Advance Global Currency Push

China is considering permitting the use of yuan-backed stablecoins for the first time in a move that could support wide... Read more

Financial Sanctions: LSEG Risk Intelligence Answers Your Key Questions

Financial sanctions are essential government tools for achieving foreign policy objectives – and compliance is mandat... Read more

Korea Development Bank Leads $45M Bridge Round For Upstage

South Korea’s Upstage has secured a US$45 million Series B bridge round supported by Korea Development Bank (KDB), Am... Read more