Govt Tightens Flight Ban To Fight Mutant Strain

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2021-04-18 HKT 23:47

Share this story

facebook

  • The Health Secretary, Sophia Chan, said the man might have caught the mutant strain in Dubai, or he might have been infected at the airport, the quarantine hotel or in the community.Photo: RTHK

    The Health Secretary, Sophia Chan, said the man might have caught the mutant strain in Dubai, or he might have been infected at the airport, the quarantine hotel or in the community.Photo: RTHK

The government said on Sunday that it's banning flights from India, Pakistan and the Philippines for two weeks from Tuesday, after the SAR found its first case in the community infected with the N501Y mutant coronavirus strain.

The 29-year-old man, who had returned from Dubai tested positive for coronavirus after completing 21 days of quarantine. His case was uncovered when he was staying in the Parkes Building in Jordan.

A government spokesperson said the government is suspending the flights because there had been multiple imported cases carrying the N501Y mutation from India, Pakistan and the Philippines in the past two weeks.

Earlier on Sunday, the Health Secretary, Sophia Chan, said the man might have caught the virus in Dubai, but could have had a long incubation period. Or, she said, he might have been infected at the airport, the hotel, or in the community.

Speaking on a radio show, Chan also said authorities have so far found nothing unusual with the ventilation and pipes at the hotel where the man was quarantined.

The flight ban comes after health officials reported one new local coronavirus case: a 31-year-old who also lives in the Parkes Building in Jordan where the man who returned from Dubai stayed following his mandatory quarantine.

Health officials recorded 29 imported coronavirus infections on Sunday, mostly involving people who had returned to Hong Kong from India.

The new ban means people who've been to India, Pakistan and the Philippines in the past three weeks are also barred from entering Hong Kong.

Macau said earlier that it was lengthening the quarantine period for people who've been to India, Pakistan and the Philippines from midnight on Sunday. Arrivals will now be quarantined for 28 days.

On Sunday, India reported over 275,000 coronavirus cases - a ninth straight day of record numbers.

RECENT NEWS

HSBC Fined HK$4.2M Over Disclosure Breaches In Research Reports

The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has reprimanded and imposed a fine of HK$4.2 million on HSBC for breaching ... Read more

Philippines: The Hidden Fintech Gem You Cant Afford To Miss | Lito Villanueva

The Philippines is the fastest-growing digital economy and home to one of Southeast Asia’s most valuable fintech unic... Read more

SBI And Chainlink Partner On Blockchain And Digital Asset Use

SBI Group, one of Japan’s largest financial conglomerates with assets exceeding the equivalent of US$200 billion, has... Read more

China Considers Yuan-Backed Stablecoins To Advance Global Currency Push

China is considering permitting the use of yuan-backed stablecoins for the first time in a move that could support wide... Read more

Financial Sanctions: LSEG Risk Intelligence Answers Your Key Questions

Financial sanctions are essential government tools for achieving foreign policy objectives – and compliance is mandat... Read more

Korea Development Bank Leads $45M Bridge Round For Upstage

South Korea’s Upstage has secured a US$45 million Series B bridge round supported by Korea Development Bank (KDB), Am... Read more