"Extend Criminal Record Check To All Talent Schemes"

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2023-02-22 HKT 11:39

Share this story

facebook

  • Lawmaker and academic William Wong says in a RTHK programme that government should require talent scheme applicants to seek official certificates to show they have no criminal record. Photo: RTHK

    Lawmaker and academic William Wong says in a RTHK programme that government should require talent scheme applicants to seek official certificates to show they have no criminal record. Photo: RTHK

People applying for Hong Kong's Top Talent Pass scheme had to begin declaring any criminal record from Wednesday, with one lawmaker saying the requirement should be extended to all visas offered on the basis of talent.

The administration announced the requirement for criminal record declarations on Tuesday as it stripped controversial genetic scientist He Jiankui of the visa he received under the scheme. He was given a three-year jail sentence in 2019 for illegal medical practices involving gene editing of human embryos.

Lawmaker William Wong said on an RTHK programme that the initial application procedure had been inadequate, but the government had acted quickly to resolve the matter.

Wong, who is also associate dean of engineering at the Chinese University, said the government could require applicants to seek certificates from their local authorities to show that they have no criminal record, adding that academics generally do not hire people with a criminal record.

The legislator said the requirement should apply to all schemes offering visas on the basis of talent.

"When importing talented people, you would want the person to be relatively honest and reliable. The applicant number is not small. We are not short of applicants anyway. Why don't we be more selective?"

Wong also called on the authorities to further clarify the circumstances of the He Jiankui case, including what category of the scheme he was granted a visa under, and on what basis.

The Top Talent Pass scheme is open to people who have earned a salary of HK$2.5 million or above in the past year, or those who graduated from the world's top 100 universities and who have at least three years of work experience over the past five years.

DAB lawmaker Edmund Wong said on the same programme that the administration had good intentions to lure talent, but the fact the new scheme was based on a simpler mechanism than previous talent visas might have been responsible for the incident.

"Under the current mechanism, we approve the applications quickly. Authorities even said some cases only take one day to approve," Wong said, adding that authorities should make spot checks on applicants.

RECENT NEWS

EDENA Unveils AI System To Automate Sovereign Asset Settlement

At the DAT Summit Hong Kong, EDENA Capital Partners launched the Autonomic Financial OS. The company describes it as an... Read more

Naver Exposes 15,000 Knowledge IN Users Activity, Moves To Improve Privacy Controls

Naver has announced measures following an incident in which around 15,000 users’ activity histories on Knowledge iN w... Read more

Japans PayPay Files For US IPO, Targets Valuation Above US$10B

SoftBank‘s digital payments unit, PayPay, has filed publicly for a US IPO. The listing could be the largest by a Japa... Read more

Inference Research Launches In Hong Kong With US$20M Seed Funding

Inference Research, an AI-native quantitative trading firm based in Hong Kong, has announced its launch and the expecte... Read more

London-Based Unlimit Appoints Michele Fung To Lead APAC Expansion

London-based fintech company Unlimit, which provides a broad range of financial technology services, has appointed Mich... Read more

SoFi Launches Digital Asset Trading In Hong Kong Through OSL Partnership

SoFi Securities (Hong Kong) (SoFi Hong Kong) and OSL Group have announced a partnership to offer digital asset trading ... Read more