Covid Case Sends Kindergarten Kids Into Quarantine

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2021-05-15 HKT 17:16

Share this story

facebook

  • Covid case sends kindergarten kids into quarantine

Hong Kong on Saturday recorded its first untraceable local Covid-19 case in a week – a four-year-old boy who came down with a fever and sore throat earlier this week.

Health officials said the boy had last been to kindergarten on May 12, and saw a doctor in Tsing Yi after developing symptoms. His sample confirmed he was infected with Covid-19.

The head of the Centre for Health Protection’s communicable diseases branch, Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan, said about two dozen pupils and teachers at the boy’s kindergarten in Ho Man Tin, the HKVNS Alumni Association Kindergarten, will need to be sent to a quarantine hotel.

Chuang said the young pupils will be accompanied by family members, and authorities are liaising with social workers to provide toys and books for the children.

She said the four-year-old boy splits his time between two homes, one in Ho Man Tin and one in Shek Kip Mei. His parents both work at restaurants, and tested negative for the coronavirus in their latest regular tests.

Besides going to kindergarten, the boy had only been out to eat a meal with his family.

Chuang said the possible routes of infection were limited, “so hopefully we will can find the possible source of infection for this case.”

Officials also reported two imported coronavirus cases from Indonesia on Saturday, a 35-year-old woman who arrived in the city on May 1 and a 21-year-old woman who arrived on May 7.

Officials said there were five preliminary positive cases.

Chuang also provided an update on the case of a clerk from the private laboratory BGI who was listed as a confirmed coronavirus case.

The clerk had received both doses of the BioNTech vaccine, and was subject to regular coronavirus tests. He was confirmed as a positive case after a test at a community testing centre on May 4.

Chuang said genome analysis suggests the virus strain was not similar to the prevalent one circulating in Hong Kong at the time and was closer to a strain originating from Wuhan.

She said they believe this may not be an infection after all, and could possibly be a case of contamination. Chuang said they will investigate the matter with experts.

If the case is found to be contamination, rather than an infection, the case will be removed from the city’s list of confirmed infections.

RECENT NEWS

HSBC Fined HK$4.2M Over Disclosure Breaches In Research Reports

The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has reprimanded and imposed a fine of HK$4.2 million on HSBC for breaching ... Read more

Philippines: The Hidden Fintech Gem You Cant Afford To Miss | Lito Villanueva

The Philippines is the fastest-growing digital economy and home to one of Southeast Asia’s most valuable fintech unic... Read more

SBI And Chainlink Partner On Blockchain And Digital Asset Use

SBI Group, one of Japan’s largest financial conglomerates with assets exceeding the equivalent of US$200 billion, has... Read more

China Considers Yuan-Backed Stablecoins To Advance Global Currency Push

China is considering permitting the use of yuan-backed stablecoins for the first time in a move that could support wide... Read more

Financial Sanctions: LSEG Risk Intelligence Answers Your Key Questions

Financial sanctions are essential government tools for achieving foreign policy objectives – and compliance is mandat... Read more

Korea Development Bank Leads $45M Bridge Round For Upstage

South Korea’s Upstage has secured a US$45 million Series B bridge round supported by Korea Development Bank (KDB), Am... Read more