'Broad' Quarantine Policy For Guangdong Was Wrong: CE

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); jQuery(document).ready(function() { jwplayer.key='EKOtdBrvhiKxeOU807UIF56TaHWapYjKnFiG7ipl3gw='; var playerInstance = jwplayer("jquery_jwplayer_1"); playerInstance.setup({ file: "https://newsstatic.rthk.hk/audios/mfile_1592529_1_20210525180138.mp3", skin: { url: location.href.split('/', 4).join('/') + '/jwplayer/skin/rthk/five.css', name: 'five' }, hlshtml: true, width: "100%", height: 30, wmode: 'transparent', primary: navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Trident")>-1 ? "flash" : "html5", events: { onPlay: function(event) { dcsMultiTrack('DCS.dcsuri', 'https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1592529-20210525.mp3', 'WT.ti', ' Audio at newsfeed', 'WT.cg_n', '#rthknews', 'WT.cg_s', 'Multimedia','WT.es','https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1592529-20210525.htm', 'DCS.dcsqry', '' ); } } }); }); });

2021-05-25 HKT 12:03

Share this story

facebook

  • 'Broad' quarantine policy for Guangdong was wrong: CE

Chief Executive Carrie Lam said on Tuesday it was wrong for Hong Kong to have initially suspended quarantine-free entry for Hongkongers returning from Guangdong.

Speaking before the weekly Executive Council meeting, Lam brushed aside suggestions that the government had bowed to “external pressure or some people’s remarks” in reversing the decision to exclude the province from the ‘Return2hk’ scheme – just hours after the move was announced by the Centre for Health Protection.

The original decision had been criticised by former chief executive CY Leung, who said he couldn’t understand how cross-border travel could ever be resumed if such strict standards were applied.

But Lam described the U-turn as a “policy adjustment”.

She said it was "not proportionate" to make SAR residents returning from anywhere in neighbouring Guangdong undergo quarantine when only a small community there had been affected by the new Covid-19 case.

“The mainland is such a large place, and the National Health Commission manages confirmed cases with a small district-based approach. Our country in these one-and-a-half years has been praised or used as a good example for the world for sealing off a small district and testing everyone inside, before letting them go out,” Lam said.

She added that, under these circumstances, "the 'Return2hk' scheme should not be changed in a broad-based manner, even when considering the risk to public health, especially when many Hong Kong residents in Guangdong will be affected.”

Lam added that SAR residents in Liaoning and Anhui provinces had also been banned from quarantine-free entry to the city, but it was not until Guangdong, with which Hong Kong has close ties, was added to the list that authorities realised the suspension mechanism was "not the most suitable".

She said the SAR will from Tuesday adopt the mainland authority's list of medium- and high-risk places, which will be excluded from the quarantine-free entry scheme.

RECENT NEWS

HSBC Fined HK$4.2M Over Disclosure Breaches In Research Reports

The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has reprimanded and imposed a fine of HK$4.2 million on HSBC for breaching ... Read more

Philippines: The Hidden Fintech Gem You Cant Afford To Miss | Lito Villanueva

The Philippines is the fastest-growing digital economy and home to one of Southeast Asia’s most valuable fintech unic... Read more

SBI And Chainlink Partner On Blockchain And Digital Asset Use

SBI Group, one of Japan’s largest financial conglomerates with assets exceeding the equivalent of US$200 billion, has... Read more

China Considers Yuan-Backed Stablecoins To Advance Global Currency Push

China is considering permitting the use of yuan-backed stablecoins for the first time in a move that could support wide... Read more

Financial Sanctions: LSEG Risk Intelligence Answers Your Key Questions

Financial sanctions are essential government tools for achieving foreign policy objectives – and compliance is mandat... Read more

Korea Development Bank Leads $45M Bridge Round For Upstage

South Korea’s Upstage has secured a US$45 million Series B bridge round supported by Korea Development Bank (KDB), Am... Read more