Battle To Clean Up Hygiene Black Spots Goes Online

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

Related News Programmes

"); });

2023-01-18 HKT 11:39

Share this story

facebook

  • Deputy Chief Secretary Warner Cheuk writes in the Ta Kung Pao newspaper that people can report recurrent and new black spots. Photo: RTHK

    Deputy Chief Secretary Warner Cheuk writes in the Ta Kung Pao newspaper that people can report recurrent and new black spots. Photo: RTHK

Deputy Chief Secretary Warner Cheuk says a website highlighting public hygiene black spots and showing what has been done to improve them will go online soon, in the next step in the government's efforts to clean up Hong Kong's streets.

In an article for the Ta Kung Pao newspaper on Wednesday, Cheuk said officials would not relent in their battle to improve hygiene, despite the fact that a three-month clean-up campaign launched in August had now concluded.

"To further strengthen the monitoring of the programme's effectiveness, we will launch a website within the month to list all hygiene black spots for members of the public to compare the situation before and after the operation. They can also report recurrent cases and suggest new black spots," he wrote.

The deputy chief secretary has been overseeing the clean-up operation, taking long walks on Hong Kong Island and in Kowloon to inspect the situation in October and declaring the streets much cleaner.

In his article, Cheuk also said officials hoped a proposed increase in the fine for illegal shop extensions would come into effect in the middle of the year. That would mean retailers who allowed their businesses to spill out onto pavements or other public areas would risk a HK$6,000 penalty, up from the current HK$1,500.

He said officials are also seeking to amend the law to give Food and Environmental Hygiene Department officers the power to remove obstructions under certain circumstances.

Cheuk also said the authorities would take action to combat possible problems arising from cross-border trading activities after the resumption of quarantine-free travel with the mainland, including checking on street cleanliness in North District, Yuen Long and Tuen Mun.

The minister chaired an inter-departmental meeting ahead of the resumption of quarantine-free travel earlier this month to address the issue of parallel traders – people who buy large quantities of goods in Hong Kong for resale on the mainland.

Meanwhile Cheuk said the administration planned to table a bill to refund stamp duty on home purchases for new arrivals who subsequently become permanent residents to the Legislative Council in March. The initiative forms part of the government's effort to trawl the world to find talented people to move to Hong Kong.

RECENT NEWS

EDENA Unveils AI System To Automate Sovereign Asset Settlement

At the DAT Summit Hong Kong, EDENA Capital Partners launched the Autonomic Financial OS. The company describes it as an... Read more

Naver Exposes 15,000 Knowledge IN Users Activity, Moves To Improve Privacy Controls

Naver has announced measures following an incident in which around 15,000 users’ activity histories on Knowledge iN w... Read more

Japans PayPay Files For US IPO, Targets Valuation Above US$10B

SoftBank‘s digital payments unit, PayPay, has filed publicly for a US IPO. The listing could be the largest by a Japa... Read more

Inference Research Launches In Hong Kong With US$20M Seed Funding

Inference Research, an AI-native quantitative trading firm based in Hong Kong, has announced its launch and the expecte... Read more

London-Based Unlimit Appoints Michele Fung To Lead APAC Expansion

London-based fintech company Unlimit, which provides a broad range of financial technology services, has appointed Mich... Read more

SoFi Launches Digital Asset Trading In Hong Kong Through OSL Partnership

SoFi Securities (Hong Kong) (SoFi Hong Kong) and OSL Group have announced a partnership to offer digital asset trading ... Read more