Activists Jailed For Joining Banned June 4 Vigil

"); jQuery("#212 h3").html("

"); });
2021-05-06 HKT 11:25
Pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong and district councillors Lester Shum, Tiffany Yuen and Jannelle Leung were jailed for between four and 10 months on Thursday for taking part in a June 4 vigil that had been banned by the authorities.
Wong received 10 months behind bars, Shum six months and the two women four months.
They had pleaded guilty to gathering at Victoria Park last year to commemorate the victims of the massacre in Beijing in 1989.
For the first time ever, authorities refused to grant permission for the annual candlelight vigil, citing the pandemic. Nevertheless, thousands of people turned up.
District Court judge Stanley Chan said there had been a potential risk of violence breaking out at the event, even though it passed off peacefully, as always.
"With the 2019 unrest still lingering, the gathering of some 20,000 participants on a special night like June 4 meant emotions could run high, and unruly elements could take advantage of the situation and incite violence," he said.
Chan added that the crowd of people had led to the closure of nearby roads and said this could have generated a health hazard due to the pandemic.
"Literally speaking, the defendants were showing to the public they enjoyed greater freedoms than others," the judge said.
He dismissed the defence's argument that the defendants only played a passive role in the vigil, saying the four are political figures and had uploaded photos to social media showing they were taking part.
Chan ruled that the only mitigating factor was the defendants' guilty pleas, and said he had reduced their sentences by a third to reflect this. He said Wong was on court bail when he committed the offence and this was an aggravating factor.
The judge also said that there was a need to deter others from committing similar offences in future.
In April, Wong was jailed for four months after pleading guilty to joining hundreds of others in an unauthorised assembly on October 5, 2019.
His new prison sentence is to be served after the four-month term comes to an end.
Wong, Shum and Yuen are also accused of breaching the national security law by holding primary polls to select Legco candidates, and they were already behind bars awaiting trial.
Twenty-two other pro-democracy activists have also been charged over last year’s vigil, and are due in court next month. Two of them, Nathan Law and Sunny Cheung, are not in Hong Kong.
HSBC Fined HK$4.2M Over Disclosure Breaches In Research Reports
The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) has reprimanded and imposed a fine of HK$4.2 million on HSBC for breaching ... Read more
Philippines: The Hidden Fintech Gem You Cant Afford To Miss | Lito Villanueva
The Philippines is the fastest-growing digital economy and home to one of Southeast Asia’s most valuable fintech unic... Read more
SBI And Chainlink Partner On Blockchain And Digital Asset Use
SBI Group, one of Japan’s largest financial conglomerates with assets exceeding the equivalent of US$200 billion, has... Read more
China Considers Yuan-Backed Stablecoins To Advance Global Currency Push
China is considering permitting the use of yuan-backed stablecoins for the first time in a move that could support wide... Read more
Financial Sanctions: LSEG Risk Intelligence Answers Your Key Questions
Financial sanctions are essential government tools for achieving foreign policy objectives – and compliance is mandat... Read more
Korea Development Bank Leads $45M Bridge Round For Upstage
South Korea’s Upstage has secured a US$45 million Series B bridge round supported by Korea Development Bank (KDB), Am... Read more